Medicare FAQs

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about Medicare, the federal health insurance program for people who are 65 or older, as well as certain younger people with disabilities. Visit the Medicare website for more information.

If you lose your card, request a replacement card by phone at 1-800-772-1213 or online at the Social Security Administration website. Make sure you have your Medicare number ready when you call. You should receive your new card in about four weeks.

Call Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213 or contact your local Social Security Office to verify Medicare Part A and Part B coverage. This information can also be found on your red, white and blue Medicare card.

If your income is limited, your state may help pay your Medicare costs such as your premiums and deductibles. Check the Important Phone Numbers section of this website for your State Medical Assistance Program number. If you have Medicare Part A, your income is limited, and your financial resources such as bank accounts, stocks, and bonds are not more than $4,000 for an individual or $6,000 for a couple, you may qualify for assistance as a Qualified Medicare Beneficiary or Specified Low Income Medicare Beneficiary. The Qualified Medicare Beneficiary Program (also known as QMB) pays the Medicare monthly Part B premium, deductibles and coinsurance. The Specified Low Income Medicare Beneficiary Program (also known as SLMB) helps pay the Medicare monthly Part B premium for qualified Medicare beneficiaries.

If you are receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement or disability benefits, you will be automatically enrolled in Medicare Part A and Part B. About three months prior to your 65th birthday or 24th month of disability, you will be sent an Initial Enrollment Package containing information about Medicare, a questionnaire, and your red, white and blue Medicare card. If you want both Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Part B (medical insurance), sign your Medicare card and keep it in your wallet. If you don’t want Part B coverage, you must put an X in the refusal box on the back of the Medicare card form, sign the form, and return it with the card to Social Security at the address shown. You will then be sent a new Medicare card showing that you have only Part A.

General Billing FAQs

Find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions we receive pertaining to patient billing.

You can reach one of our customer service representatives by calling 252-847-4472 or toll-free 1-800-788-4473. Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 5 p.m.

Yes, you may pay your bill with a credit card online through MyChart anytime. You may also pay in person or over the telephone.

The bill may be for lab work that was sent to the hospital lab by your doctor.

A summary of your charges is printed on the first statement you receive from the hospital. A detailed bill is available approximately five days after your discharge.

In addition to your ECU Health bill, you may receive bills from other non-ECU Health employed physicians who may have provided services to you. For instance, you may receive bills from consulting physicians, radiologists, anesthesiologists or other specialists. Please contact those physician offices directly if you have questions concerning those bills.

We can provide an average charge per procedure, which will give you an idea of what your cost may be. Actual charges will vary by patient based on your specific needs. Call 252-847-4472 or 800-788-4473.

When making medical payment decisions, make sure you first know the total cost of your services. Then, it’s best to check with your insurance company to learn:

  • What your insurance will cover
  • What you will owe out of pocket
  • What methods of payment the facility accepts
  • Who will be completing insurance forms — you or the facility’s office staff

Yes, effective Nov. 13, 2023, ECU Health will request copayment amounts due at the time of visit at all ECU Health locations, including Emergency Departments. Learn More.